Thursday, July 14, 2005

Meme sent by Jai Clare

(1) Imagine it's 2015. You are visiting the library at a major research university. You go over to a computer terminal (or whatever it is they use in 2015) that gives you immediate access to any book or journal article on any topic you want. What do you look up? In other words, what do you hope somebody will have written in the meantime?

Well not written but discovered and published...the last diary of Sylvia Plath. The one that Ted Hughes is said to have destroyed.

(2) What is the strangest thing you've ever heard or seen at a conference? No names, please. Refer to "Professor X" or "Ms. Y" if you must. Double credit if you were directly affected. Triple if you then said or did something equally weird.

Well not a book conference but a gathering in Athens, Greece, where Jacques Derrida was due to speak. Amphitheatre, lecture hall, he walks on stage and no one notices, so he's standing there for seconds, minutes (?) and everyone in the theatre is still chatting away as if he isn't there at all... After that, if I remember correctly, possibly the next day, he was due to receive an honorary degree from Panteion University, which I thought was so silly. After the award and speeches, he's walking down the aisle and this crazy press photographer (I was there on a journo's assignment for a daily English-language paper) grabs me and pulls me up and takes a photo of me next to Derrida. So then I follow Derrida into the reception area and speak to him about academic hypocrisy and he actually listens and responds.

Well, it was weird for me.


(3) Name a writer, scholar, or otherwise worthy person you admire so much that meeting him or her would probably reduce you to awestruck silence.

J.M. Coetzee.


(4) What are two or three blogs or other Web sites you often read that don't seem to be on many people's radar?

Oh, well, I basically stop my Maud's blog and Mark Sarvas's blog, but they are very hot blogs. Others? I've recently stopped by Book Coolie, Language Hat, Blogographos, The Hellenophile, The Return of the Reluctant and What Strange Place is This? and Steve Kane's Non Sequitur.


OK, so my turn to call out people and I'm calling out:--
1. Tom Saunders
and
2. Steve Kane.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Kane said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:44 pm  
Blogger Steve Kane said...

So, do I now have to answer these questions since Jai has called me out?

She's always getting me into trouble, that girl.

3:45 pm  
Blogger Steve Kane said...

I'm just toying with you. You will be rewarded for your patience one day.

Anyway, typical me, not paying attention. Kathryn called me out on this 'ere mem thingie... I got confused because you sent it to her and... I was being thick.

4:51 am  
Blogger kathryn said...

Hiya Tom! You just copy-paste the questions to your own blog and replace my answers with yours.
xoxox

1:00 am  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Oh yes, Coetze! I would be struck dumb for a week, after which I would be a torrent of words.

9:27 pm  
Blogger kathryn said...

Hi Patry,

What would you say to Coetzee once the words came?

kk :)

1:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home