Saturday, March 26, 2005

Five (5) Book Questions

My cute friend Steve Kane sent me this book thingy, which he got from the gorgeous and talented Jai Claire.

His answers are right here.

And mine are here:

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, what book would you like to be?

Ulysses by James Joyce. I want to be misunderstood but great!

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

When I was younger.: Mr Darcy.
Then a bit older: Jude in Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure
Then later: Andrew McGahan's Praise protagonist Gordon. He was a bit of a greasy grungy slacker and creeped me out when he had sex with this girl who had bad eczema, but I didn't care.
Then even later: The boy that Iris falls for in Siri Hustvedt's The Blindfold, though I can't remember his name.
Now: I have a crush on JM Coetzee. Sure, he creates fictional characters, but as far as I'm concerned he's fictional.

3. The last book you read

David Markson's This is not a novel (About a month ago.)

4. What are you currently reading?

I'm reading various stuff from the literary journals I bought while in Sydney earlier this year.
Meanjin,
Island,
Overland,
Heat.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Tom Saunders's Brother, what strange place is this?
Siri Hustvedt's The Blindfold
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
Wittgenstein's Tractatus
Epictetus's Encheiridion

6. Who are you going to pass the stick to (3 persons) and why?

Definitely my friends Alexia and Angelike over in Athens, because they've always got fabulously interesting things to say.

I think I'll also send to Ari down in Melbourne, because she's also fabulously interesting and may be coming to Greece later this year. What fun!

Of course, anyone who arrives at this blog by chance is invited to add their responses to these questions in the comments section.

Well, that was fun.

Thanks, Steve!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some food for thought, thank you Katherine. I think you're fantastically interesting as well.

Ari

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, what book would you like to be?

The Pure and the Impure - Colette

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
No...

3. The last book you read
Wild Girls - Paris, Sappho & Art
A biography about Natalie Barney & Romaine Brooks

4. What are you currently reading?
Rereading bits of 'The Chronicles of Narnia' T.S Eliot.

Hardy's 'Tess Of The D’Urbervilles' Started it a while ago. Read it almost 20 years ago


5. Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Inshallah - Oriana Fallaci
The Claudine Novels - Colette
The Pure and the Impure - Colette
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (or his other books)
Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin


6. Who are you going to pass the stick to (3 persons) and why?

Not sure.

12:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What planet was I on...

C.S Lewis, for 'The Chronicles of Narnia' NOT T.S Eliot.

My partner/husband is starting to worry about my vague 'blonde' moments. By the way 'blonde' is not only a hair colour it's a state of mind. And I'm starting to worry about the excess of raw data in my mind.

Ari - may be my sub concious is pointing me to 'The Waste Land'

1:54 am  
Blogger kathryn said...

Ari - may be my sub concious is pointing me to 'The Waste Land'

Yes! I like this interpretation!

Hey, thanks for answering these quezzies.

How's Tess coming along? God, I love that book. I went through a Hardy phase and read EVERYTHING! He just does it for me.

What did you think of the film?

Winterbottom's film version of Jude is rather excellent, too!

See ya,

10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home